Tuesday, December 5, 2017

RMSI: Never Stop Growing

[Address your involvement in the classroom (and/or school, similarities/differences of educational system, etc.]


Student Teaching Abroad
Barcelona, Spain
November 17 - December 5th


If you didn't already know, the purpose of my study abroad trip was to get additional experience student teaching. For this placement, I was at the Collegi Reial Monestir de Santa Isabel (RMSI) in Barcelona. The school is made up of students from toddlers to high school students. "Kindergarten" at this school consists of children aged 1 - 5. Primary age students included grades 1 through 6. Since I was not placed with any upper grades I'm not sure how they compare with those in the US.


I was placed with Mr. Rodd who teaches mainly 2nd grade boys. One major difference between the education at this school and others I've observed in the US was how the teachers at RMSI travel between classes throughout the day. Shown below is the schedule I followed during my two weeks in the school.



The areas in white show when I was with Mr. Rodd with the 2nd grade boys. For the school there are four classes for each grade - 2 girls classes (A,B) and 2 boys classes (C,D). 2D is considered Mr. Rodd's "homeroom." I also spend three hours a week with Miss Olinkha in classes 2A and 2B as well as 2 hours a week with Miss Teresa in classes 1A and 1B. While it was interesting to see such a wide variety of classes, it was overwhelming trying to learn so many names. The average class size at RMSI is 25, however 3C, which Mr. Rodd spends 2.5 hours a week assisting in due to large class size, had 29 students. 

While I was student teaching in Barcelona, I had the opportunity to lead instruction during some class periods. I also had the opportunity to assist during exams with reading the questions and answer options to the students. Since the classes I observed in were all taught in English, the teachers liked to have me speak/ read to the students as much as possible so that they were exposed to a native speaker. It was shocking to me the difference in ability between the 1st graders and 2nd graders in relation to English speaking. In 2nd grade the students very rarely tried to speak in Spanish during class; however, the 1st graders often tried to speak to me in Spanish. Sometimes I could understand them and assist them in English. But, sometimes it was hard to understand them or I didn't have the Spanish vocabulary to be able to understand them.  

As was mentioned above, the teachers travel from room to room. However, the students remain in their "homeroom" and the teachers for each subject come to them during each class period. Shown below is an example of the student's schedule.



Overall the pacing of content is much slower in Barcelona. I was surprised at how long students were given to work on assignments. Additionally, as the teachers traveled from class to class they often arrived 5-10 minutes after the class was supposed to start. During this time, the students were left unattended in the classroom once the previous teacher left to arrive at their next class. 

Another difference was that the school does not employ "substitute" teachers. Some of the teachers have hours set in their schedule where they substitute in other classrooms as needed. If no substitutions were needed, that block of time could be used for planning, grading, or parent meetings.

The most obvious difference between schools in the US and the school in Barcelona, in my opinion, was that the behavior management throughout the school was often lacking. Students were very loud and often disruptive during class. The teachers had to re-direct behaviors and attention repeatedly throughout the class period. There were a few teachers that clearly understood classroom management as was evident when you walked into their classroom. 

What I liked most about this school was the positive, uplifting messages presented to students. Whether through positive reinforcement, small weekly rewards, or displays throughout the school, I think that the students benefit from the encouragement and are encouraged to maintain a positive attitude.













No comments:

Post a Comment

La Familia: The Second Weekend

Futbol, the harbor, and La Sagrada Familia Saturday, November 26 For the second of Alvaro's futbol games since I was in Barcel...