Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Displaced European

[Focus on the culture and any connections with the educational environment/setting.]


Student Teaching Abroad
Barcelona, Spain
November 17 - December 5th

I can't believe it has been a three weeks since I got back from Barcelona! Since I've gotten back, everyone has had a lot of questions about my experience, including what my favorite part was.

Most of all I love how you can walk to get literally anywhere- the grocery store, the school, the doctor, etc, within 10-15 minutes. Everyone still has cars and drives when they need to, but in my experience they prefer to walk when possible. I love it, and wish we could get to more places by walking here in Bowling Green!

For this reason, and a few others, I think I'm actually a displaced European. ;P I can relate to so many parts of their culture. For example, time tables and schedules are very relaxed. Aka, a lot of people are late ALL the time. While I don't necessarily enjoy the fact that I'm late to things a majority of the time, I have accepted that it is just a part of who I am... and the Spanish have definitely done the same. Even classes within the school typically begin 5-10 minutes behind schedule, on a daily basis. 

Also, in second grade the students learn about the difference between villages, towns, and cities. Part of this includes comparing how in villages more people live in single-family houses whereas in towns/cities you see more apartments/flats. In these lessons, the students and teacher often referred to their apartments as their house- which is something my friends have ALWAYS made fun of me for doing!

Lastly, most of the families in Barcelona have a nanny/housekeeper, which is something I could totally get on board with since I'm not a huge fan of cooking/cleaning! I'm still confused as to what the housekeeper in our family actually did all day since the family was perfect and never made a mess anyway! haha

Engaging in a new culture and staying with a host family is an experience I would highly recommend to anyone. Getting to know the family and spend time with them was a blessing. I was so sad to see the time end so quickly! Having a local to show you around, give advice, and tell you the history and culture of the area is invaluable. I will never forget my time in Barcelona, and cannot wait to return someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

La Familia: The Second Weekend

Futbol, the harbor, and La Sagrada Familia Saturday, November 26 For the second of Alvaro's futbol games since I was in Barcel...