Monday, November 27, 2017

Week 1+: Quick Recap/ Overview

[Share your first impressions of the student teaching abroad experience, including overview of the school, nature of your placement, community, etc.]


Student Teaching Abroad
Barcelona, Spain
November 17 - December 5th

How is this trip already over halfway gone?!?! I am super slacking on the blog posts but I have a whole list written out of the things I want to blog about. First I'll give a quick first impression of the experience.

1) We are not here long enough! In my mind I had convinced my self it was four weeks abroad, when really it was only three! And of that time, we only spend 11 days in the school system--- ELEVEN days! Can you imagine trying to get to know names for 25-30 students in seven different classes in just 11 days? Yea, me either, and I'm already bad at remembering names.

2) There are WAY more differences in the school than I expected (more on this later)-- the physical size of school, available resources, class makeup, subjects studied, and roles of teachers are all vastly different from what I've grown accustomed to.

3) Way more people speak Spanish than Catalan! I had always been told my (very little) Spanish knowledge would be useless here- TOTAL LIE!

4) I can relate to 10/12 year old boys (Like Ricardo & Alvaro in my host family) much better than I thought I could- thanks Star Wars and Kahoot!

You can find more on each of these topics in future blog posts. Overall my first impression is very positive. The biggest thing I have to remind myself is to not be afraid to ask questions, because as long as vocalize my question or concern, there is almost always someone close who can help me out! I am very grateful to be in a community that welcomed us in to help us learn about their culture and traditions, and can't wait to share what I have learned with you all!

Coming Soon!!! Look out for posts on:

*La familia - an introduction to my Host family
*Futbol games
*A Trip to the Cinema
*Hiking Tibidabo
*Thanksgiving in Barcelona
*A trip to the City Center
*Sagrada Familia & Christmas Market
*The Gothic Quarter
*Tapas


No comments:

Post a Comment

La Familia: The Second Weekend

Futbol, the harbor, and La Sagrada Familia Saturday, November 26 For the second of Alvaro's futbol games since I was in Barcel...