Wednesday, December 27, 2017

La Familia: Thanksgiving and Piano Recital

Thanksgiving and Piano Recital
Thursday, November 23

This was the second time I have been out of the country for Thanksgiving. The first being November 2014 when I spent 4 semester studying abroad in Grantham, England at Harlaxton College. Although it was tough not being with my family for such an important holiday, my host family made it much more bearable. Right after school we went to a friend of the family's house. They had lived in Boston for ~6 years so they wanted me to come taste their carrot cake the mom baked as their Thanksgiving celebration. It was delicious, and fun to be around Spanish speakers who understood our culture and language on a more personal level.


After chatting with the family a bit we returned to our house to get ready for Ricardo's piano recital. The recital was not far away, so we walked about 10 minutes to get there. Ricardo had quite the entourage with both sets of grandparents, a cousin, an uncle, Inma, Alvaro, and myself in attendance. We took up half of the available seats!😄 


I could tell Ricardo was a bit nervous before he began, but he did great! He played three different songs mostly from memory, only referring to his music a few times. After the recital, Oscar picked us up and we drove back to the house for a Thanksgiving dinner. The main attraction was the turkey that Inma made sure to get especially for Thanksgiving! Like always, everything was delicious. Inma and Jen (the housekeeper) are both amazing cooks!


After dinner I had the opportunity to call both Jacob and the family. Although it was great to talk to them, I ended up staying up much too late since dinner isn't until around 9 for my family. Add to that about and hour and a half of phone calls and I was exhausted after a long, but happy Thanksgiving day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

La Familia: The Second Weekend

Futbol, the harbor, and La Sagrada Familia Saturday, November 26 For the second of Alvaro's futbol games since I was in Barcel...